Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Online Giving is now available, Click here to create your account.
Read more

Read the daily quote from Pope Francis

 

About Our Parish

St. Rose of Lima Church, Monroeville was established in 1868. Missionaries first came to this part of Allen County in the early 1800s. Father Stephen Badin, one of the first pioneer priests ordained in the original thirteen colonies, visited the present site of Monroeville in 1831. Later Rev. Julius Benoit, Rector of the Cathedral in Fort Wayne, came to Monroeville to celebrate Mass in the homes of local settlers.

St. Rose Parish was truly formed, however, when land was purchased to build a church in 1868. It was Fr. E. P. Walters who erected a 50x52 wood frame church and named it in honor of St. Rose of Lima, the first native-born saint of the New World, born in Lima, Peru in South America.

 

The wood frame Church served as a mission church until it was destroyed by fire in October 1887. Only the bell and stations  of the old Church were saved as plans immediately were drawn up for a new Church. The cornerstone  for the present Church building was laid on July 1, 1888 by Bishop Joseph Dwenger. The new Church, a graceful Gothic brick building that seats about 240, measuring 35 x 95 feet  and with a steeple that reaches 102 feet built at the cost of $9,500, was dedicated on May 12, 1889. A special train, fifteen coaches in all, packed with visitors made the trip from Fort Wayne for the event. The parish register lists 250 families.

 



St. Joseph School opened in the fall of 1912 under the title of St. Rose Academy, with 27 girls and 42 boys.  Rev. Norbert Felden was the pastor of St. Rose of Lima Parish at the time and helped build the school with generous contributions from the parishioners. Rev. Charles W. Marr who was the pastor from 1909-1922 sought St. Joseph’s intercession in defraying the debts which were incurred by modernization and establishment of the commercial school.  His prayers were answered, and soon the school was renamed St. Joseph’s School.
Saint Joseph School, Monroeville has reached a milestone in 2012.  It has completed 100 years of service to the cause of Catholic education.  St. Rose of Lima is unique in the fact that three or four generations attend church together and the parishioners of St. Rose are strong in their loyalty to the parish and the school and are determined to ensure the stability both of the parish and the school.

 

 


 

Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!